Figure 1. NAEP Math Scores for Puerto Rio at grade 4, by content area: 2007
Figure 2. NAEP Math Scores for Puerto Rio at grade 8, by content area: 2007
Blame for these results should be ascribed to:
- The Puerto Rico Schools of Education which, in preference to mathematical content, have slavishly followed the pernicious ideologies of John Dewey, Jean Piaget, Lev S. Vygotsky, and last, if not least, Pablo Freire.
- The Puerto Rico Department of Education for disseminating nonsense such as the following:
“The brain houses and integrates dissimilar functions in much the same way that the house has rooms for different daily activities. Draw a house with a room plan and yard. Draw lines (preferably of different colors) to connect rooms and areas with integrated functions [sic]. (For example: Food prepared in the kitchen is eaten in the dining room. After sweating in the yard you take a bath and get dressed in your room. [sic]) Imagine one of the rooms being destroyed. What would be the impact on the family? Think of another model you can make that shows how things interact with each other.” —Tips for Mathematics Teachers, San Juan Star, March 19, 1996
- The National Science Foundation for promoting mathematical talibanism in Puerto Rico
- SOL STERN, Pedagogy of the Oppressor
Another reason why U.S. ed schools are so awful: the ongoing influence of Brazilian Marxist Paulo Freire, City Journal, Vol19, No. 2, 2009.
- Constructivism in Education: Sophistry for a New Age, Martin A. Kozloff, May 1998.
- Puerto Rico NAEP Results -Why the wheels of education don’t turn, Philip Pennance.
- Mathematics Standards of the Puerto Rico
Department of Education: Analysis and Recommendations
Teaching school children to read was a “perversion” and high literacy rate bred “the sustaining force behind individualism.” —John Dewey,