As is their wont, UPR bureaucrats and accrediting agencies require that each syllabus contain course objectives. Since all my courses have essentially the same objectives (relative to their content) we provide below a template. By filling the following convenient blank the user can readily obtain the objectives for his own course.
After this course the students are expected:
- to have acquired a good working knowledge of ___________ (substitute theme of course)
- to have developed their skills in thinking logically, formulating precise mathematical arguments, solving problems and presenting solutions in a good mathematical style;
- to have become familiar with the definitions, concepts, results and methods of proof relating to each part of the syllabus;
- be able to quote the definitions and results, and to reproduce the proofs of some key results;
- be able to solve problems relating to the material covered. These might be straight- forward applications of the definitions and results but might also be problems of a more testing nature.